Johann Bergl Garten, Klein-Mariazell
The Bohemian-Austrian baroque painter Johann Wenzel Bergl (1719-1789 ) created not only his first large, independent, but also his sacred main work .
In the collegiate church (today's basilica), according to its purpose as a pilgrimage church of Mary, he painted a comprehensive cycle of frescoes on the life of Mary and four large altarpieces in 1758 and 1759 .
The convent garden behind the basilica in Mariazell once served the Benedictine monks as a retreat and recreation area. Back then it was adorned with beautiful, regularly laid out flower beds, with a baroque summer house in the middle.
Today the garden is open to everyone who wants to spend a quiet moment here and follow the traces of our great master .
More about Johann Bergl : www.bergl2019.eu
With financial support from: